Tuesday, April 5, 2011

Better as the Other

Have you ever read or watched something and thought that it just wasn't quite right? At first you couldn't put your finger on what was off about it - it wasn't that whatever you were reading or watching was bad, it just wasn't...right. Then it dawns on you. The book or movie wasn't in the right format for that story.

I'm experiencing that right now. I'm reading Brandon Sanderson's first Mistborn novel. It's not bad but it's taking me a very long time to get through it. The writing is...alright. The story is...okay but I'm having trouble bonding with the main characters. In fact, the character I find the most interesting is the Lord Ruler who is the story's antagonist. Oddly enough, I haven't actually 'seen' him (note: I still have 100 pages left to go so he might show up) except in excerpts from his logbook written centuries before the current story takes place.

Anyways, it dawned on me this weekend what would make this story so much better. I think it would make an excellent anime series.

(I've been watching a few anime series the last couple weeks; Corpse Princess and Fullmetal Alchemist. That is probably where I got the idea.)

The reasons why I think Mistborn would make a great anime series follow:
1. I honestly think the story line would be more interesting as an anime series.
2. The main characters all have a mysterious background that is important to the current story.
3. There are tons of interesting magical events going on that would look a lot cooler in anime.
4. The characters' thoughts and reactions to each other would be great in an anime characteristic exaggeration.
5. Lastly, one of the main characters is a sixteen-year-old girl who goes from a back alley rapscallion to a noblewoman spy with pretty dresses.

There are a few more reasons why I think it would be better as an anime series but I can't quite explain them but I'll let you decide for yourself.

No comments:

Post a Comment